Thetford is a town in Orange County, Vermont in the Connecticut River Valley which includes the villages, East Thetford, North Thetford, Thetford Hill, Thetford Center, Rices Mills and Post Mills.
Thetford is home to Thetford Academy, Vermont's oldest secondary school. Girl Scouts of the Green and White Mountains, formerly Swift Water Girl Scout Council, also has a summer residential camp here called Camp Farnsworth. Camp Farnsworth originally started under private ownership by Chelebe and Madama Farnsworth in 1909 when it was called Camp Hanoum.
The town was created on August 12, 1761 by way of a royal charter which King George III of England issued to Governor Benning Wentworth of New Hampshire. Wentworth named it for Augustus Henry Fitzroy, 3rd Duke of Grafton, 4th Earle of Arlington and 4th Viscount Thetford, who in 1768 became prime minister. It was first settled in 1764 by John Chamberlin, who lived at East Thetford beside the Connecticut River. He was an agent for one of 62 proprietors (51 from Hebron, Connecticut).
In 1974, Thetford became the first U.S. municipality to call for the impeachment of President Richard M. Nixon.
Population (2008): 2,780
|Total Area: 43.6 square miles|
|Past Growth: +/- 6.2%||Tax Rate: 2.1941/$100|
|Population Density: 64 people per square mile||Non-Homestead Tax Rate: 1.996/$100|
|Median Family Income (2008): $61,953||Town Clerk: (802) 785-2922|
|Median House Value (2008): $267,938||
Town Website: www.thetfordvermont.us
Information obtained from the town of Thetford website, Wikipedia and City-Data.com